martes, 22 de noviembre de 2011

Baptisms and Soccer. I mean Fútbol.

So this past Saturday I went to my cousin´s baptism in Mejorada del Campo, a small town outside of Madrid.(I happen to have an aunt in Spain that I didn´t mention. In fact, I stayed at her apartment when I had been looking for one of my own. And her husband has been very helpful by giving me advice about Madrid. But I am the exception as most other auxiliares don´t have relatives here; I´m very fortunate). Anyways, my several months old cousin was the cutest and the most figety of all the three babies at the service. In almost every picture taken at the end of the service he is reaching for the baptismal candle or playing with his suit. Afterwards, we all went back to the apartment were the paparazzi show continued. We ate Colombian food with cumbia playing in the background. Then I went with some of the husband´s family to a neighborhood restaurant to watch a soccer game between F.C. Barcelona and Zaragoza to the tune of tapas and beer. The entire time my aunt´s brother-in-law lectured me on why i should be a fan of Barcelona and not Real Madrid, even though I live in Madrid. This, by the way, is the greatest rivalry in Spanish soccer which is followed by people the world over). In fact, my students ask me ALL THE TIME whether I am a fan of Barcelona or Madrid, and I answer: give me a few months and then I´ll tell ya. By the end of the night I was baptised a fan of F.C. Barcelona whether I liked it or not and Barça (the cool way of saying it) ended up beating Zaragoza 4-0.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario