domingo, 21 de abril de 2013

Poems in English for My Students

So, one of my colleagues at school has asked me to bring in several poems or short plays to practice rhythm and intonation in English. I also was asked to look for poems expressing different emotional states as well...regret, fear, anger, happiness, elation, etc. Seems like perfect timing since this month is National Poetry Month...at least in the U.S. If you know of or have a favorite poem that I could use please let me know!!!

One of my favorite poems is
The Road Not Taken
by Robert Frost:

Two roads diverged in a yellow road,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveller, long I stood
And looked down as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same.

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence;
      Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and I-
          I took the one less travelled by,
        And that has made all the difference.

But, perhaps, its a little too long for my students. I want each student to recite a poem at least twice. Another great poem that would work well, is Dreams, by Langston Hughes because it is not too long and flows well:
Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die
Life is a broken winged-bird
That cannot fly.

Hold fast to dreams
For when dreams go
Life is a barren field
Frozen with snow


Now, if you know of any poems in iambic pentameter that would be great too because it naturally captures the rhythm of English. Shakespeare was and is famous for it. The first line of one of his most famous sonnets is analyzed below:

Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Shall (-) I (+) com (-) pare (+) thee(-) to(+) a(-) sum(+)mer's(-) day(+)
(-) for unstressed, (+) for stressed.

Now, I'm not keen on finding poems with the verboseness of Shakespeare exactly. I need something more understandable and relatable like Hughes' poem above. Also, if anyone knows of Dr. Seuss material that is free on the internet, let me know.

Thank you!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario