miércoles, 12 de diciembre de 2012

Puente y Gente

Again, its been a while since my last entry. I can't help it. Life gets in the way. Anyway, we had a long four day weekend (in Spanish this is called a puente, or bridge) this past weekend because of el Día de la Constitutión, or Constitution Day. That's self-explanatory. Anywho, its tradition to have public readings of the constitution all over Spain and I ran into one on calle Arenal (which connects Ópera and Sol) with my friend Catherine. Of course we were too busy to stop and listen to the dry and didactic verbage (that doesnt mean I dont consider it unimportant) and I was also feeling claustrophic because of the multidudes of people so we kept on moving towards Lavapiés. Sol is always overflowing with people during puentes.

We had just come from a Thai Restaurant where we had spent all afternoon eating and talking. Thats a very Spanish thing to do. And another very Spanish thing to do is to stand outside the entrance to the restaurant for at least 10 minutes in the freezing cold weather, deciding what you want to do next!! Its happened several times already so I have come to the conclusion that its a very Spanish thing to do.

Anywho, I ran into one of my students who was there with her family. After exchanging introductions, I made small talk and asked if they were here shopping as well. ¡Que va! ¿Con este crisis? I should have known better. The attitude all around town has been and is about pinching pennies. People go to Sol or Gran Vía not really to shop but to go window-shopping, or just pasear. I love the word, pasear. There really isn't a word in English that captures the essence of it. Hicimos un paseo. I might translate it as we went for a walk....close enough. Its one of my favorite things to do in Madrid.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario